Governor Malloy and CT legislators visit ABCD to discuss Weatherization funding

CAFCA | July 16, 2014 |

 What is the Weatherization Assistance Program? 

The Weatherization Assistance Program is funded by the US Department of Energy, and assists low-income persons to minimize energy-related costs and fuel usage in their homes through retrofits and home improvement measures.

Who Provides Weatherization Services? 
Connecticut’s Weatherization Program is administered by the Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP) in partnership with the statewide Community Action Agency network.  Local Community Action Agencies qualify households and coordinate services; DEEP provides overall program management and technical assistance.

Am I Eligible and How do I Apply? 

The Weatherization Assistance Program uses the same eligibility criteria as the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program. Currently, the eligibility is set at 60% of State Median Income.

Priority is given to households that are particularly vulnerable, such as the elderly, persons with disabilities, families with children and high energy users. For multi-family dwellings, at least two-thirds of the tenants must be income-eligible.
Additional Eligibility Criteria

  • The dwelling cannot have been weatherized by the Connecticut Weatherization Program at any point after September 30, 1994.
  • The dwelling cannot be for sale or listed for sale within six months of the work’s completion.
  • The dwelling cannot be in foreclosure or loan mediation.
  • Landlords of rental applicants may be asked for a landlord contribution of 20% of the material cost, up to a maximum of $500 per eligible unit.
How do I Apply?

The statewide Community Action Agency (CAA) network operates the Weatherization Assistance Program. Applications are taken at the same time as the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program as part of a joint application process. Make sure to ask the staff person for a Weatherization Card or Referral Form if you are interested in the program.  For the Energy Assistance intake site near you, call 2-1-1.
What Happens After I Apply?
If eligible, you will be contacted by the local CAA that performs weatherization work to schedule an initial energy audit. The energy audit helps determine the weatherization measures to be installed. Keeping health and safety in mind, the objective is to lower energy bills by making the dwelling more energy efficient. Typical measures may include heating system tune-ups and repairs, blower door guided air-sealing, attic and sidewall insulation, and health & safety inspections.
I’m Interested in Weatherization, but I’m not Eligible. Help!
There are other programs available, including a utility ratepayer-funded low-cost energy audit. Contact your utility company for more information:
CL & P - toll-free at 1-800-286-2000 or local (Hartford/Meriden areas) at 860-947-2000
United Illuminating Company - toll-free at 1-800-442-5004