Community Action Agencies Accepting Energy Assistance Applications

CAFCA | August 01, 2019 |


(Middletown) Community Action Agencies across Connecticut are now accepting energy assistance applications for the 2019-2020 heating season.


Connecticut residents struggling to pay their utility bills can apply for home heating assistance at their local Community Action Agency (CAA). Community Action Agencies are the only nonprofit agencies administering the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federal program (administered by the CT Department of Social Services) that provides home heating assistance to the state’s most vulnerable residents. The state’s CAAs administer the program locally in all 169 cities and towns.


Each Community Action Agency has application intake sites throughout their service regions, including some local town halls. Customers should check with their local CAA for a complete site listing, to make an application appointment, and confirm required documentation they will need to bring. Homeowners and/or renters may apply, and funds may be used to pay for whatever source of heating residents have in their homes. This includes wood, electric, oil, kerosene, or natural gas.


Beginning mid-November, CAAs will certify oil deliveries for those who heat with oil, propane, and deliverable fuels.


Each CAA’s energy department below contact number is below. You can find your local CAA and more information about energy assistance at or by calling (860) 832-9438.



Kelley Hall, Development, Communications, and Grants Manager, Connecticut Association for Community Action, Inc. (CAFCA), 860-832-9438 ext. 3,



Connecticut Community Action Agency Energy Assistance Contact Information



Area Covered

Energy Assistance #

Action for Bridgeport Community Development (ABCD)

Lower Fairfield County

(203) 384-6904

Greater Norwalk

(203) 838-8110

Access Agency (Access)


(860) 450-7423


(860) 412-1568

Community Action Agency of New Haven (CAANH)

Greater New Haven

(203) 285-8018

Community Action Agency of Western CT (CAAWC)

Greater Danbury

(203) 748-5422

Greater Stamford

(203) 357-0720

Community Renewal Team (CRT)

Central CT

(860) 560-5800

Human Resources Agency of New Britain (HRA)

Greater New Britain/Bristol

(860) 356-2000

New Opportunities, Inc. (NOI)

Greater Waterbury

(203) 756-8151

Greater Meriden

(203) 235-0278


Lower Naugatuck Valley

(203) 736-5420

Thames Valley Council for Community Action (TVCCA)

Southeastern CT

(860) 425-6681